Friday, May 22, 2009

Beginnings


So here I am, and if you know me, I'm not a big blogger. For example, I meant for this picture to be underneath this paragraph. Wait, I just fixed it. Anyways, I am going to try to keep up with my recent events to let everyone know what I'm up to back at home, but please forgive me if I leave out striking details. First things first, I had to get to the capital and Supreme Court (also known as Court with a capital "C'). I had to see the places where things took place and continue to take place that I studied, particularly Supreme Court cases and legislation. 


Here we have the entrance to the Library of Congress, the biggest library in the world as we know it. That horseback riding looked pretty intense. I don't know what that has to do with a library, but I was inspired to try it some day.


Morgan and I set out to see this place and we could hardly peel ourselves away because the decor was breathtaking. There were quotes all over the walls from the original days making statements about God and a higher power. This was beautiful to behold... until Morgan and I were swepped up in a passing tour which we followed to what is called the "family room" showing a big picture of a traditional family. There were also pictures of them during work, prayer, study and play together. This nut of an old man was our tour guide and if what I'm about to tell you next doesn't sum up government today, I don't know what does. He said, "all of these buildings around here should be thought of as temples, because they are, but they are more like secular temples." Secular temples? Really? WOW. That's an oxymoron if I've ever heard one. Last time I checked, a temple was a place of godly worship, in fact, according to the dictionary it is just that. In order for something to be called a temple, it must be a place devoted to God, otherwise it is just a building. It's a place devoted to the worship of God or it's just a building. You can't just use the word "temple" because it sounds nicer and nobler and then call it "secular." This makes me sick. On to another picture.


Yes, yes, that is me.


It's the weirdest thing, this secular temple refers to God. 


Excellent
Ok, off to the capital 



The Supreme Court. I don't know why this is underlining.




The famous walk up the Supreme Court steps.


A love affair.


Where the justices sit.


Morgan and I on the steps.



Morgan and I went to the Air and Space museum. Really cool.


The Wright Brothers. Who knew they were still alive?





Washington Memorial, it was amazing. So tall!



WWII memorial. I was not able to get a famous pic with the Utah column yet.


My roomate Adrianne, aka "Ado"


This was by the reflecting pool. Mamma duck tucking in her babies for the night. She was squaking at us to get away. Cute.


Lincoln memorial, this was amazing.






So pretty. So that has been the extent of my adventures so far. I am interning at the Republican National Committee in the GOPTV department. Morgan and I are actually interning together. It's been exciting so far. I've manned the camera during a live shot, started learning how to cut DVD's, work the teleprompter, have my own desk and computer and I have a boss named Michael Scott who is the coolest human being ever. Yes, I said I have a boss named Michael Scott. I also have a boss named Dennis who is a wizard with making movies and JB who likes to place bets on children in spelling bees. My roomates Morgan, Ashley and Adrianne are all awesome and it is the best living situation I could ask for, except my room smells a little like mildew. The metro is really awesome too. Well, I've spent a ton of time on this so I'm off!

1 comment:

  1. I injoyed this very much...keep it up! I hope you go to the Holocaust Museaum for me! Spray down your room with bleach...it will kill the mildew. Love you!

    ReplyDelete